GREAT LAKES CAVALIER KING CHARLES SPANIEL CLUB
ETHICAL GUIDELINES FOR MEMBERS
Part A: General
- The purpose of these ethical guidelines is to improve and protect the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and to promote good sportsmanship between club members and Cavalier owners.
- The club recognizes the purpose of breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels is to attempt to bring their natural qualities to perfection in accordance with the AKC Breed Standard.
Part B: Recommended Guidelines for Breeding a Cavalier Bitch:
- Before breeding my bitch, I will study the AKC Breed Standard and breed only those specimens that meet the standard.
- I will not breed a bitch until her third season, or before she reaches eighteen (18) months of age.
- I will not breed any bitch once she has reached eight (8) years of age.
- I will not breed any bitch unless I am prepared to keep all puppies for which I cannot find suitable homes.
- I will make certain that my breeding bitch is screened for Mitral Valve Disease and inherited eye disorders.
Part C: Recommended Guidelines for Breeding Stud Dogs:
- Before placing my dog at stud, I will study the AKC Breed Standard and breed only those bitches that meet the standard.
- I will not offer stud services to any persons who do not take sincere ethical measures to protect/improve the breed, or to any persons who would place pet puppies without spay/neuter contracts.
- I will make certain that my stud dog is screened for Mitral Valve Disease inherited and eye disorders.
Part D: Recommended Guidelines for selling Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Puppies:
- I will discriminate in the placement of the Cavalier puppies or adults that I breed.
- I will not place puppies/adults in pet shops, with animal brokers or persons who sell/buy in litter lots.
- I will not donate puppies/adults for raffles or contests.
- I will not release puppies to new homes before 8 weeks of age and all will have immunizations/wormings appropriate for their age.
- I will provide instructions to new owners on the care and feeding of their puppy/dog. It is strongly advised that puppies be checked by a veterinarian prior to leaving for their new home and that the veterinary health certificate be provided to the new owner(s).
- In the event that a puppy/adult that I place cannot be kept by the buyers, the sales contract will state that the puppy/adult will be returned to me or that I will assist in finding a suitable home for the puppy/adult.
Part E: Integrity:
- I will represent my puppies/adults honestly.
- I will not use misleading, questionable or deceptive advertising.
- I will discourage anyone from breeding Cavaliers for profit.
- I will never broker puppies/adults for anyone regardless of club affiliation or credentials.
- I will assist fellow members in anyway that I can. I will, at all times, educate and offer appropriate club resources to fellow members and to the public.
- I will educate each owner or interested person in constructive as well as instructive manner.
- I as a member should never speak in a derogatory manner regarding another owner or breeder.
- I will conduct myself in a manner that is a credit to the Club and ownership of Cavaliers
- Overall, I will behave in a manner that will be conducive to the Great Lakes CKCSC, Inc.
Part F: Sportsmanship:
- As a member of this AKC Specialty club, I will demonstrate good sportsmanship both inside and outside the show ring by adhering to the AKC Code of Sportsmanship.